Skip to Content
tree branch
tree branch

Permits & Applications

Tree Cutting & Land Disturbance 

Tree Removal Information Packet - If you are not familiar with our tree ordinance, download this information sheet. It outlines the purpose of the permitting process, how to know when you need a permit, and how our inspectors will evaluate your application. 

Tree Removal Permit Application - If you would like to remove trees on your property that are governed by our ordinance (see packet above if you're unsure), fill out and turn in this application. We'll also need a drawing or map showing the location of the trees you would like to remove - don't worry, a simple drawing on the back of the application works great. It's also a good idea to mark the trees in question with ribbon or tape to avoid confusion. Once we receive your application, one of our inspectors will be out to check out the tree as soon as possible. From there, your application will either be approved or denied, and our inspectors will contact you shortly with their determination. 

Land Disturbance Permit Application - If you're planning on grading, dredging, filling or otherwise altering land which may result in soil erosion or sediment relocation and you don't have an approved building plan, you must first get a Land Disturbance Permit. 

Garage Sales

Garage Sale Permit Application - Our garage sale permitting processes ensures that our neighborhoods have friendly, organized garage sales without having them become a neighborhood nuisance. Each residence is allowed a maximum of two garage sales a year, with each sale lasting a maximum of two consecutive days. Each sale is only allowed to have one sign, and the sign must be placed on the private property of the residence having the sale. There is a five dollar fee for each garage sale, which must be paid in person at city hall. 

Homeowner Exemption & Disclosure Statement

Homeowner Exemption -  State law provides for a licensing exemption when a homeowner acts as a general contractor for projects done on his or her property as long as the property is not sold or rented within two years of completion of the project(s). Before you can pull a permit for construction as a homeowner, you must sign the disclosure statement acknowledging the requirements set forth in state law. 

Home Occupation Guidelines 

Residents of Forest Acres are free to operate a business from their home, but only if the following guidelines are met:

  • The business must be wholly contained within the resident's principal building (home).
  • The portion of the home used to conduct the home occupation must constitute no more than twenty (20) percent of the floor area of the home.
  • No merchandise can be displayed for advertising purposes. No merchandise can be visible from outside of the home.
  • No merchandise or articles can be stored outside of the home.
  • The residential character of the building or premises cannot be altered.
  • Only people residing on the premises may be employed and/or work with the home occupation.
  • The business shall not generate traffic in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood, and any need for parking must be met off-street and not in the required front yard.

If your business meets the above criteria, fill out our Home Occupation Requirements Statement and mail it in with your license application

City of Forest Acres

City Hall - 5209 North Trenholm Road, Forest Acres SC 29206

Police & Court - 5205 North Trenholm Road, Forest Acres SC 29206

  • Main: (803) 782-9475 |
  • Police: (803) 782-9444 |
  • Court: (803) 790-5947

© City of Forest Acres