Skip to Content
tree branch
tree branch

Planning & Zoning

Our zoning regulations help ensure that Forest Acres never loses its small-town feel. If you need to find out what your property is zoned, fill out our  Zoning Request Form and we will get back to you quickly. 


Zoning Ordinance - This PDF document contains the Zoning Ordinance in its entirety. If you have a question about what you can build and where you can build it, this is the place to go.

Stormwater Buffer Ordinance - Our Stormwater Buffer Ordinance is designed to improve and maintain water quality in Forest Acres.

Rezoning Application - If you're interested in trying to change the zoning of your property or would like to change a portion of the Zoning Ordinance's text, start by filling out the Rezoning Application and taking it by City Hall. Our staff can evaluate the eligibility of your request, and direct you through the re-zoning process. 

Notice of Appeal to Zoning Board (Form 1) - If you would like to appeal a zoning interpretation or decision made by our staff, apply for a variance allowing you relief from the strict application of the Zoning Ordinance, or apply for a special exception as defined by our ordinance, start by filling out this form first. 

Appeal From Action of Zoning Official (Form 2) - If you believe a zoning official made an error while interpreting the Zoning Ordinance and would like to request relief, fill out this form in addition to Form 1 above.

Application for a Variance (Form 3) - If you would like to go before the Zoning Board of Appeals and request a variance from the strict interpretation of the ordinance, fill out this form in addition to Form 1 above. Please note that state law will not allow municipalities to grant "use variances" - meaning we cannot grant a variance allowing a use which is forbidden by the property's zoning. 

Application for a Special Exception (Form 4) -  Certain uses are allowed only when granted by special exception. If you would like to propose a use governed by the special exception portion of our ordinance to our Zoning Board of Appeals, fill out this form in addition to Form 1 above. 

Tree Cutting & Land Disturbance 

Tree Removal Information Packet - If you are not familiar with our tree ordinance, download this information sheet. It outlines the purpose of the permitting process, how to know when you need a permit, and how our inspectors will evaluate your application. 

Tree Removal Permit Application - If you would like to remove trees on your property that are governed by our ordinance (see packet above if you're unsure), fill out and turn in this application. We'll also need a drawing or map showing the location of the trees you would like to remove - don't worry, a simple drawing on the back of the application works great. It's also a good idea to mark the trees in question with ribbon or tape to avoid confusion. Once we receive your application, one of our inspectors will be out to check out the tree as soon as possible. From there, your application will either be approved or denied, and our inspectors will contact you shortly with their determination. 

Land Disturbance Permit Application - If you're planning on grading, dredging, filling or otherwise altering land which may result in soil erosion or sediment relocation and you don't have an approved building plan, you must first get a Land Disturbance Permit. 



City of Forest Acres

City Hall - 5209 North Trenholm Road, Forest Acres SC 29206

Police & Court - 5205 North Trenholm Road, Forest Acres SC 29206

  • Main: (803) 782-9475 |
  • Police: (803) 782-9444 |
  • Court: (803) 790-5947

© City of Forest Acres