Skip to Content
tree branch
tree branch

Permits & Applications

Business Licensing

To apply for a new license or to renew an existing license, simply fill out our application and mail it to us or stop by our office at 5209 N. Trenholm Road. If you mail in your application, don't forget to include a check for payment. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover if paying in person at City Hall. If this is your first time applying for a license, be sure to include our business information sheet

If you have trouble calculating your fee, consult our Business License Fee Calculator

Typically, if there are no errors on your application, we will mail you back your business license in a week or less. The turnaround time may be slightly longer close to April 15, the deadline for renewal. 

If you have questions about the application itself or the licensing process, please do not hesitate to contact our licensing clerk, Laura Boatright

Building Permits

Our Building Department issues permits and completes inspections using the 2015 International Building Code. Other than homeowners operating under the homeowner exemption, only contractors licensed by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation can obtain permits. If subcontractors will be used, a list of subcontractors must be provided at the time of application. A copy of the contract must be submitted which must include the homeowner's name and address, the contractor's name and address, the scope and cost of the work to be done and the signatures of both parties. 

Building permit applications must be turned in at City Hall (5209 N. Trenholm Road) for processing and payment.

Plan Review

Any time you are required to submit plans for review by our Building Official, a plan review application must be submitted. 

Tree Cutting & Land Disturbance 

Tree Removal Information Packet - If you are not familiar with our tree ordinance, download this information sheet. It outlines the purpose of the permitting process, how to know when you need a permit, and how our inspectors will evaluate your application. 

Tree Removal Permit Application - If you would like to remove trees on your property that are governed by our ordinance (see packet above if you're unsure), fill out and turn in this application. We'll also need a drawing or map showing the location of the trees you would like to remove - don't worry, a simple drawing on the back of the application works great. It's also a good idea to mark the trees in question with ribbon or tape to avoid confusion. Once we receive your application, one of our inspectors will be out to check out the tree as soon as possible. From there, your application will either be approved or denied, and our inspectors will contact you shortly with their determination. 

Land Disturbance Permit Application - If you're planning on grading, dredging, filling or otherwise altering land which may result in soil erosion or sediment relocation and you don't have an approved building plan, you must first get a Land Disturbance Permit. 

Sign Permitting

It is important to us to strike a good balance between allowing businesses to successfully advertise while maintaining the attractive appearance and upscale shopping atmosphere for which Forest Acres is known. 

Before you erect a sign, please fill out our a sign permit application for wall signs or free standing signs.  Once the application is turned in (along with the necessary fees) at city hall, the turnaround time is usually 2-3 days. 

If your sign vendor needs guidance during the design phase, our sign design requirements can be found starting on page 49 of our zoning ordinance. Please note that banners and other temporary signs are not allowed unless they are being used to advertise a public, charitable, educational or religious event. Our code enforcement officers will confiscate, on sight, any such unpermitted temporary sign or banner. 

Peddlers & Charitable Solicitations

We take the safety of our citizens very seriously. Because of that, we monitor and license door-to-door sales within the city limits. In order to sell products door-to-door or to solicit charitable contributions door-to-door, individuals and entities must first fill out our application and turn it in at City Hall, 5209 N. Trenholm Road. The application lists numerous requirements that must be fulfilled in order for a permit to be issued. 

City of Forest Acres

City Hall - 5209 North Trenholm Road, Forest Acres SC 29206

Police & Court - 5205 North Trenholm Road, Forest Acres SC 29206

  • Main: (803) 782-9475 |
  • Police: (803) 782-9444 |
  • Court: (803) 790-5947

© City of Forest Acres